Welcome to the Keeping Children Safe website. This website is for congregations, presbyteries and faith communities of the Uniting Church Synod of Victoria and Tasmania. You will find here everything you need to make your organisation as safe as possible for children.
The Uniting Church Synod of Victoria and Tasmania makes the following commitment:
- All children who are involved in any of the Uniting Church’s activities, services, events or programs have a right to feel and be safe. The Uniting Church in Australia is committed to provide safe environments where children are cared for, respected, nurtured and sustained.
- We have zero tolerance of all forms of child abuse and will do all in our power to safeguard children from abuse.
- The Church commits itself to the creation and maintenance of a child-safe culture to ensure the care, protection and safety of all children engaging with the Church in any of its entities.
- Abuse thrives on secrecy. To prevent child abuse across the Church, we are committed to providing clear leadership and open and transparent governance to combat secrecy.
- The Church clearly affirms its commitment to upholding the law. This includes the requirement to report abuse to the appropriate authorities.
Everyone associated in any way with the Uniting Church is required to make a commitment to keeping children safe. Click here to check whether this policy applies to you.
All documents on this website have been updated and supersede any previous documents, including the Keeping Children Safe policy. When you are looking for resources, filling out a template or checking on policies around child safety, please ensure you use the updated documents on this website. Do not rely on previous documents. This website will be updated regularly and the most current information and documents will be found here. If you have already taken steps using the old Keeping Children Safe material, that’s great. Please make sure you use these new materials when you renew your commitments and code of conduct, which must be done no later than February 2018. Read the material on the “Information for Church Councils” tab.
We have created a step-by-step guide to using the materials on this website.
Do you have questions about Working With Children Checks/Registration? A suite of documents for you is located here.
To clarify your obligations or to report an incident, contacts are as follows:
Congregations, Presbyteries and faith communities – Use this website
Synod employees – Speak to the People and Culture unit
Uniting – For community services please speak to the Executive Officer of your local Uniting cluster (formerly UnitingCare / Wesley Mission Victoria)
Uniting AgeWell – Speak to the manager of the facility
Schools – Speak to the principal of the school
We look forward to your feedback, including which resources you find helpful or any you would like us to add.
The Culture of Safety unit can be contacted by:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1300 789374
Josh Woollett - Safe Church Educator
firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 9251 5288
Sue Clarkson - Ethical Standards Officer
email@example.com or 03 9251 5912